I can’t take my test because of the COVID measures. Now what?
Although most tests are currently taking place online, you may still need to go to Avans or an external venue hired by Avans to take your specific test. You have studied very hard and you’re all set to take the test. Then suddenly, you hear that you have to self-isolate because one of your housemates has tested positive for COVID-19. Or you notice that you have flu-like symptoms, even though they are mild. What should you do?
We know that it’s a major inconvenience, but you really must stay at home. We understand that you might be highly motivated to take your test, especially if you’ve studied hard for it. Nevertheless, we must ask you to postpone it and stay at home if:
- you have flu-like symptoms (even mild ones)
- you are waiting for the result of a COVID test
- you have tested positive for COVID
- you are self-isolating (e.g. because one of your housemates has COVID).
Three chances in total
In addition to the regular test, you are also entitled to a re-sit. In other words, you have two opportunities to take your test. Make good use of them! If, for one of the reasons listed above, you have missed out on an opportunity due to COVID and have not yet obtained the result you need, the department will give you a third chance to take the test. Has COVID led you to miss several tests, and have you not yet achieved the grade you need as a result? In that case, you can submit a request to the examination board. Chapter 5 of the Education and Examination Rules explains the details of this process.
What should you do?
If you can’t take your test on location for one of the above COVID-related reasons, you should deregister for that test in Osiris. This can be done up to one hour before the start of the test. You can register at a later date for the following assessment opportunity.
Validity and purpose
The above situation applies to the entire 2020/2021 academic year, including any tests that you missed due to COVID in Period 1. The purpose of this policy is to encourage you to stay at home if you have COVID-related problems or have to self-isolate, without delaying your academic progress. By sticking to these rules, we can prevent infection together and ensure a safe and healthy environment in which to work and study.
Late deregistration for exams from 5 working days to one hour before the exam
The Executive Board has decided that students who cannot take exams on location due to Covid-19 symptoms or quarantine can deregister up to one hour before the exam during the academic year 2020-2021. This only applies to the exams that are administered on a central locations. Up to 5 working days before the exam, the student can deregister in the usual manner via Osiris Student. From 5 working days to one hour before the exam, the student can start a case to submit a request for deregistration.
How does late deregistration in Osiris work?
- Go to the late deregistration case directly via this link, or go to Osiris Student and follow these steps:
- Click on the tab labelled ‘Cases’.
- Click the ‘My cases’ button. A new window will open.
- In this window, click the ‘Start a new case’ button.
- Choose ‘Late deregistration request’ and click ‘Start’.
- Declare that you cannot take exams due to Covid-19 symptoms or quarantine
- If you are enrolled for more than one study programme, please choose the one you want to deregister from exams.
- Check the exams for which you want to deregister.
- Click ‘Submit’.
- The academy office will then process your request.
- You will receive an email as soon as the request has been processed.